Tuesday, February 14, 2017

A Day in February 2017

I force myself up soon after 8am when I hear the toddler stirring in the next room.  I want so badly to be a morning person but I am not.

Get dressed, start drinking my cup of coffee and check email.  Ready toddler's milk. Ready toddler's family visit diaper bag- making sure it has diapers, wipes, snack, milk with a cold pack, a few toys and a change of clothes.

Retrieve now fully awake toddler from crib and give him a bath since his hair smells like he spit up during the night.  Get splashed by the happy little boy in the tub.

Get toddler dressed and let him play with Miriam (who is now up, too) while I call to make two necessary medical appointments for toddler.

Feed toddler breakfast while I eat my yogurt and granola and drink some more of my (now cool) coffee.

Wake up big kids and give instructions for the morning.  Run upstairs and change into town clothes.

About 9:45 am, run toddler into town for his family visit with birth dad.  Make conversation with birth dad in waiting room until social worker comes out.  Pass toddler to his dad and try not to breakdown as he cries and lunges for me as I walk out of the building.

Drive home and check on progress of kids' school work.  Do school with Miriam.  Reheat same cup of coffee and drink some more.

At 10:45 am, take Miriam and go pick up toddler who is very happy to see us.  Miriam thinks it's neat that a police officer held the door for us while we were leaving the office and later tells her sister he was handsome. Pile back into van- hand sanitizer all around.

Drive directly to toddler's doctor's office for appointment.  Miriam and I chase toddler all around waiting room and exam room trying to keep him out of trash cans and from putting things in his mouth.  Leave doctor's office- hand sanitizer all around.  Phone home and ask Sam to start lunch.

Once home, call social worker to give updates on doctor's appointment and other appointment scheduled.  Give extra cuddles to toddler who is often very clingy the day or two after his visit.

Almost 1:00 pm, eat lunch together. Put toddler down for nap.  Pray he sleeps longer than an hour. He does! Get dishes into the kitchen.  Finish school with Miriam.  Start school with Sadie.  Finish cold coffee. Work on school until mail comes and Sadie's first American Girl doll arrives (which she saved up for herself).  All bets on finishing school with Sadie are off.

Fold the last load of laundry (with toddler "helping") that didn't get folded from the laundry spree the night before.  Eat some cookie dough from the freezer and then throw the rest away to keep from eating more.

Finish washing up dishes (while toddler keeps a handful of my skirt in his little fist). Start to think about dinner and decide I need to document one of these days so one day I can remember what life is like right now.  Start to type this post on the way to the pantry to get tomato sauce.

Assemble supper (baked pasta with meatballs).  Jamey gets home from work.  Say brief hello and give instructions for baking the dinner.

Drop Sam and Sadie off at choir and drive to the grocery store.  Park the van in the parking lot, recline seat and BREATHE for 5 minutes.  Fill up my grocery cart, wince, pay, and head home.

Unpack groceries while cooking peas (baked pasta almost ready).  Eat dinner with Jamey, Miriam and toddler.  Fill Jamey in on our day.  Pack up some supper for Sadie.  Kiss toddler good night.

Take Miriam to her music class and pick up Sadie.  Sit with Sadie while she eats.  Sit in on Sam's choir rehearsal until Miriam is done her class.  Drive the girls home and watch a new episode of The Incredible Dr. Pol together.

Hug girls goodnight, discuss next day's plan (Jamey has off!), watch a TV show, greet Sam when his ride drops him off at home. Send him into the kitchen to find dinner and snacks.

Check email, read a few articles, check out what friends are up to on facebook, watch some PBS Masterpiece and head to bed.

Things I did not include:
- times I let the dog in and out of the house
- times I loaded and tended the wood stove
- diapers changed
- times I scolded myself for not drinking enough water (I had my first kidney stone this summer which was ALMOST LIKE LABOR)
- times I asked the kids to be quiet because the baby is sleeping
- photos because I didn't even think to take any

These days I experience many moments when I'm fully present in the now.  But there are also moments when I'm on the verge of panic over what the future will bring for the little boy who has started calling me "ma".  And, what our life will feel like without him.

Thankfully, the present-moments out number the panic-filled ones.  And thankfully, this particular day is (usually) the busiest of our week. Pin It


  1. Aww, Jane, the work you are doing with the toddler is amazing. He's such a happy guy. Very smart to stay in the present with him, but when the time comes, know that I'm here for you in whatever way you need.

  2. This is such a fun post! I get a kick out of your sharp humor, ie "fill up my grocery cart, wince, pay..." xo!

  3. I always enjoy these peeks into your busy life. Seems just yesterday I was a young wife and mother with three kids under five. Now, life is not so busy with an empty nest-my baby will be 26 next month! Looking forward to being a grandma then life will be busy with little ones again! In case you didn't already know this, you and your family is a huge blessing to your foster children! As they leave you, they may not remember you in their baby-memories but they will always remember the feeling of being loved! God Bless!

  4. I'm so happy to read your posts! Life is busy with littlles, I miss it! God bless you and your beautiful family!

  5. I love these posts! Glad you got to relax for 5 whole minutes before grocery shopping. Miss you my friend.

  6. Your posts are so honest and uplifting. I have been reading your blog for over a year now and love "real life" and you show us all how to connect to family, love always and God is the center of your heart. As a former foster child, through many homes, I remember most of them, even as a small child (2 yrs). The love your family is pouring into this little boy will leave a mark on his heart the rest of his life. My first foster home had 5 biological children, one special needs foster boy they were adopting and me and my sister for 9 months. I learned about God, Jesus, giving and sharing and the meaning of Easter. I still have the Bible they gave me with their words of love and encouragement. My husband and I have fostered children until I became ill. God has blessed you with a giving heart and I am so glad you share peeks into the life He has given you ❤

    1. Thank you so much for commenting and for the encouragement...I LOVE hearing from individuals who were once foster children who have positive memories of the love they received from foster families. Oh, that you have carried that love is so very encouraging to me. Thank you and bless you for giving back by fostering, too. Love, Jane xo

  7. We Grandmothers forget how busy are the lives of our daughters are while in the midst of raising our precious grandchildren. Thank you for that reminder. Also, thank you for loving and caring for this dear toddler. Even though one day he may leave your care, you and your family are making a difference as you pour into his life.

  8. I've been thinking about you lately and I'm so glad you "checked in" with everyone. :) Hang in there.

  9. thanks for a glimpse into your day. In many ways its very similar to mine, but then very different too.


Just a friendly reminder, if you know me personally please try to refrain from using my name. There are those who may try to locate me, break into my pantry and steal my pickled beets. Thanks:-).

Please choose the Anonymous option if you prefer not to sign in to comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails