So. After three trials of canning water with Tattler Reusable Lids using (what I thought were) different "methods", we just had to guess as to how we wanted to try it on applesauce day. Here's what we decided to try:
1) I would put the metal rings on (over the rubber ring and plastic Tattler lid) just finger-tip tight- slightly less tight than I would tighten a ring on a metal lid.
2) When Jamey pulled them from the canner, he would tighten the rings down hard IMMEDIATELY (as in RIGHT after taking EACH ONE from the canner). In my mini-trials, I was removing all six pints and then tightening down the rings. He was going to remove them one at a time and tighten them right away.
These lids are interesting. While you can't rely on a visual dip in the lids like you can with metal lids, some of the jar lids did appear more sunken than others. Many didn't look any different. This was discouraging as we looked at them throughout the day, wondering how many would seal.
The jars stayed outside on tables after coming out of the canner. It was a warm day and the sun shone on them for much of the afternoon. About 100 jars sat on a long rectangular table very close together, with the remaining 60 or so on our round patio table- these were spaced apart a bit more.
I set my alarm earlier than normal because we would be checking the jars before church. I was going to need some processing time of my own before worship if things went terribly wrong.
Jamey and I headed outside and started checking them. Jamey removed the metal rings and let me attempt to lift the jars by the plastic Tattler lid (how you tell if they've sealed). We started with the smaller table. Of those 60-ish jars, 7 lids lifted off. This was discouraging, but not tragic. We moved on to the larger table of 100-ish jars. Of the jars on that table, only 3 did not seal. I was so very relieved.
The final stat was that 10 out of 165 quarts did not seal. I quickly set my indoor canner water to boil and reheated the applesauce in those 10 jars. I washed the jars, re-filled them and re-canned them- this time with some metal lids I had on hand. I had an afterthought that it would be nice to have some applesauce canned with metal lids for giving away (so I didn't have to worry about getting my Tattler lids back). One of the 10 didn't seal. Such is canning life.
Jamey thinks that maybe our success rate was poorer on the smaller table because those jars were spaced further apart while cooling, meaning that they cooled faster. Those were also the last ones to be canned, so the water in the canner may not have been as clean (some applesauce bubbled out of some) so maybe some sauce residue got between the rim and the lid. Or, maybe I didn't tighten them the same. Who knows.
sealed jars waiting to be stored in the pantry
My Verdict: I was somewhat frustrated by them, but I like them. I like them enough to keep trying. And try I will have to come next summer. Even though I made detailed notes of what worked with the applesauce, next summer's projects won't be canned in the big Amish canner (that's just for applesauce weekend) and I likely won't be cooling my jars outside. Also, Jamey will likely be at work, so I'll be doing the tightening down of rings myself. All in all, I'll be starting all over. But, I'll do it.
These lids have too many things going for them for me to give up so easily.
It was a roller coaster of a weekend, but after wiping the jars down and lining them up on my shelves in the pantry, it was such a good feeling. The project was successful and I'm excited to fine-tune my Tattler skills next summer. Pin It