1) Canning is not hard.
2) You do not need tons of special stuff.
3) I'm going to show you exactly how to do it.
There are basically 5 things you will need and that's ALL. This is what we have and we manage just fine to put up plenty. Here is what you will need...
1) Canning jars. These are jars made for canning (hence the name). Used mayonnaise jars don't count. Having some of different sizes (quart jars, pint jars and jelly jars) is nice. Some jars have regular mouths (or openings) and some have wide mouths (which are larger than regular mouths). Wide mouth jars are handy if you are packing peaches or dill pickle spears so you can reach your hand down in there and not squish the fruit or veggies. You do not need both sizes.
(Right picture) Regular mouth jar on left, wide mouth jar in right.
2) New lids with rings that fit the size jars you have. They sell regular lids and rings and wide mouth lids and rings. Lids are only used once. Rings are taken off when the canning process is complete and can be used over and over. If they show signs of rust- pitch 'em.
3) A large pot (that you can fill with water up to the neck of a quart canning jar) or canner (we are not talking pressure canner here).
Large pot (on the left). Most canners (on the right) don't look like this one. This one was my Grammie's.
4) Jar lifter. You hold the end with the black handles and use the other end to lift your jars into and out of your canner.
5) Jar funnel to fit a regular jar mouth (it will also fit a wide mouth).
If you are going to use a big pot instead of a canner, you'll also need a dish towel. You'll also need a few paper towels or disposable napkins and a ladle. But, I'm guessing that if you're contemplating learning to can you already have a dish towel and some paper towels or napkins and a ladle lying around. Just a hunch.
That's it, my dears. Don't be scared. If you'd like to can some things with me this summer, get what you don't have and meet me back here.
Don't go far- I will post Canning Prep & Method later this afternoon! Pin It